This neighborhood guide will help you when you browse through Manhattan homes and apartments for sale by providing useful information on home prices, transportation options, commuting, schools, safety, shopping, top things to do, and architecture. Find out which schools you can find in the area and their rankings, plus essential information on transportation options and crime rates.
The real estate market guide for Manhattan will tell you how many rentals, condos, co-ops and single family homes there are in the area and provide insights on the housing market to help you choose the best neighborhood for your needs.
Manhattan is home to the skyscrapers that most people think of when they think of New York. The most famous skyscraper landmarks include the Empire State Building, 30 Rockefeller Plaza, 40 Wall Street, the New York Times Building, the Chrysler Building, and One World Trade Center. Other landmarks include St. Patrick’s Cathedral, the Grand Central Terminal, the Met and the Broadway area.
Though these tall and mighty buildings may be the first thing that comes to mind, they’re certainly not the only type of architecture in the borough. Individual neighborhoods include pre-war walkups, townhouses, brand-new condo developments, and everything in between.
On a square foot basis, Manhattan has some of the highest real estate prices in the world. The housing stock includes some single-family homes but is primarily made up of rentals, condos in high-rise buildings, and coops. This is a bustling, jam-packed area and people moving here should not expect to have a lot of room, either inside or out of their home.
Get all the details you need on the Manhattan housing market and real estate trends by having easy access to median sale prices by property and by square feet. You will also have access to the borough’s median sale price for comparison, together with year-over-year evolution of home prices.
Research the real estate market in Manhattan even further while you are looking for homes and apartments for sale by checking our detailed residential market reports. Released monthly and including sales stats and trends, the reports will help you know the local market like a pro, so you can make an informed decision when buying a home or apartment in Manhattan.
As of the 2015 U.S. Census, 57% of Manhattan residents relied on public transportation, thanks in part to the fact that the New York City Subway system is the largest such system in the world. There are nearly 150 subway stations within Manhattan and there is also a complex bus system that can get travelers virtually anywhere within the city.
There are hundreds of schools within Manhattan, including both public and private options. The New York City Department of Education operates all public schools in the borough. It is the largest public school system in the country. There are also a number of charter schools and some of the most prestigious private schools in the country, such as the Brearley School, Browning School, and Trinity School.
There are more than a dozen hospitals in Manhattan and three of them have been named among the top 20 hospitals throughout the U.S.: New York-Presbyterian, NYU Langone Medical Center, and Mount Sinai Hospital.
Between the years of 1990 and 2008, crime dropped significantly in Manhattan. Murders dropped by 88%, robbery was down 80%, and auto theft went down by 93%. In all seven of the major crime categories that are tracked, crime declined by 75%. As of 2009, Manhattan has the lowest crime rate among the largest ten cities in the country.
There are numerous neighborhoods within Manhattan, many of which have their own unique vibe and a long list of things to do. Central Park offers tons of access to park trails, green spaces, and outdoor sports. Harlem is home to the world-renowned Apollo Theater, Hell’s Kitchen has some of the best laidback restaurants in the city, while Midtown has some of the best entertainment in the world.
Times Square is known as one of the top tourist destinations in the city, and the Broadway neighborhood is home to dozens of theaters and three times as many delicious restaurants. For those with a taste for a specific type of cuisine, Koreatown, Chinatown, or Little Italy may be a top destination, while the Meatpacking District is known for its rustic food options.
Almost 20% of Manhattan is made up of parks, for a total of almost 2,700 acres of green space. About 30% of that parkland is made up by Central Park, while the other 70% includes more than 200 playgrounds, 370 basketball courts, 250 Greenstreets, and other outdoor amenities.